The Benefits of Laser Hair Removal
posted: Jun 25, 2019.
Want to get rid of unsightly hair? Midtown Dermatology in Tulsa, OK, offers a way to permanently reduce unwanted hair using a quick and painless laser procedure. Look below for more information on this wonderful treatment!
What is laser hair removal?
Laser or light-based, hair removal permanently reduces unwanted hair by destroying the cells responsible for hair growth on different parts of the body, including:
Treatments only take a few minutes and are long-lasting, unlike other hair removal tactics like shaving plucking and waxing, which also happen to be time-consuming, painful, and temporary.
More About the Procedure
The number of sessions needed varies from one person to another, but typically 4-6 treatments are recommended. If you're removing hair from the face, underarms, arms, or bikini area, sessions should be 4-6 weeks apart, while for the back, chest, and legs, sessions are recommended to be 8 - 10 days apart. You should also shave between sessions, but avoid plucking or waxing. If you have questions, just ask your Tulsa doctor.
- You're going to need to shave prior to consultation, minimize sun exposure to the areas receiving treatment, as well as discontinue waxing, plucking, and tweezing them.
- During the procedure, you'll given eye shields to protect your eyes.
- You'll feel a cooling sensation when a gel is applied to the skin and while a hand piece touches the target areas
- There will be a rubber-band-like snapping when energy is delivered into the hair follicles, but this will also disappear almost immediately
- The gel will be removed after treatment (no ointments necessary)
- After the treatment, you can resume normal daily activities uninhibited
How does it work?
Hair growth is broken down into three phases:
- Anagen Phase: Hair actively grows (lasts for several months)
- Catagen Phase: Hair begins to shrink
- Telogen Phase: Hair is released from the follicle and restarts growth at the Anagen phase
The laser hair removal device works by emitting light energy that is absorbed by the hair follicle pigment which then impairs hair growth. Results are best when hair follicles are in the anagen phase, which is why multiple sessions are recommended.
Both men and women can benefit from this procedure, so don't hesitate to learn more. For more information about laser hair removal treatment, or to schedule a consultation, contact Midtown Dermatology in Tulsa, OK, at (918) 728-3100.